Blisland to Holsworthy

After a good nights sleep, and being well looked after at Trewint Farm, we headed off under dark skies. Light rain fell sporadically but it never developed into the full works. A brief stop outside The Blisland Inn for a photo and then it was a stiff climb up onto Bodmin Moor. Cycling into a headwind made progress slow and the constant changes in altitude (mostly up, it seemed) were tiring. At Churchtown, just outside the village of Breward, we passed the highest pub in Cornwall – and yes, we were climbing. Too early to stop for a drink. Out on the moor it was bleak and there were no more villages for potential tea stops, so our 10 mile stop was to become more like 18 and this only after we’d dropped down off the moor – a great long descent with good visibility ahead. It marked a change in the countryside from big rolling hills to more undulating ones with lower hedges.

Bodmin Morr above Blisland. A big climb followed by a long day on the bike.

Bodmin Morr above Blisland. A big climb followed by a long day on the bike.

Our lunch stop came at the right time as we’d been riding without a break for about two and a half hours. The pub at Hallsworth had a carvery on the go and we were among the first to show. We were damp and sweaty so it was probably a good thing that we separated ourselves, by sitting in the public bar, from the others as they filled the lounge and restaurant.

One Sunday roast plus pint plus pudding later we were back on the bike and appreciating the easier hills.
It was a tired pair of tandemists that pushed the bike into Holsworthy town center. Karon went to buy sandwiches for our evening meal as our B&B at Forda Farm was about 4 miles from the town and pretty secluded.
On finally arriving, Val, the farmer’s wife, could not have been more helpful, offering to drive us somewhere to find food, taking a bundle of smelly cycling gear to wash and making us a cream tea after we’d freshened up. She also offered us an evening meal too!

So the bike was stashed in one of the farm sheds and we enjoyed a quiet evening in, in our own little cottage behind the farm house.

A shorter and hopefully easier day tomorrow as we pick up the Tarka Trail to Barnstable.